The NFPA 70 700.3 (f) is a newer electric code specifically meant for a critical facility. These type of facilities already have an emergency generator in place. With the new code, these facilities now have to have a back-up power system in place for when their emergency generator is off-line. Simply put, you need a temporary back up generator for your permanent generator.
It is likely that you will be needing a portable/towable generator with a manual transfer switch. Your manual transfer switch will be installed after the automatic transfer switch and normally, there is a need for a docking station for the temporary generator.
For the visual learners:
For those who like the full technical definition:
2017 Code Language NFPA 70 700.3 (f)
Temporary Source of Power for Maintenance or Repair of the Alternate Source of Power. If the emergency system relies on a single alternate source of power, which will be disabled for maintenance or repair, the emergency system shall include permanent switching means to connect a portable or temporary alternate source of power, which shall be available for the duration of the maintenance or repair. The permanent switching means to connect a portable or temporary alternate source of power shall comply with the following:
- Connection to the portable or temporary alternate source of power shall not require modification of the permanent system wiring.
- Transfer of power between the normal power source and the emergency power source shall be in accordance with 700.12.
- The connection point for the portable or temporary alternate source shall be marked with the phase rotation and system bonding requirements.
- Mechanical or electrical interlocking shall prevent inadvertent interconnection of power sources.
- The switching means shall include a contact point that shall annunciate at a location remote from the generator or at another facility monitoring system to indicate that the permanent emergency source is disconnected from the emergency system.
It shall be permissible to utilize manual switching to switch from the permanent source of power to the portable or temporary alternate source of power and to utilize the switching means for connection of a load bank.
You can find all of our available manual switches here.